airport scene, traveling with childrens

Requirements for traveling with minors

We are used to traveling alone, with groups of friends, but what about with children? At The Fun Plan we know how stressful it can be to plan a trip with minors and that's why we want to help you out.

If you are organizing a school trip with your students or on the contrary, it is a family trip, it is normal for certain doubts to arise, such as: What documentation does the minor need? What things can't I forget? Below we provide you with all the information about the requirements for traveling with minors in Spain or abroad, and the travel documentation essential that you should not forget.

Travel within Spain and the EU

Although the DNI is not mandatory until they are 14 years of age, minors can obtain the National Identity Document from the moment they are born, as long as one of the parents accompanies them to the corresponding office to pay the fees.

Minors under 14 years of age may fly only within national territory without ID as long as they are accompanied by their parents and they carry the Family Book with them. If flying outside of Spain, minors will need a DNI for the countries of the European Union and a Passport for the rest of the countries that do not belong to the EU.

Minors under 14 years of age may not travel alone in any case, however, those between 14 and 16 years of age may travel alone by hiring assistance at the airport. This assistance means that the minor will be accompanied at all times. From the age of 16, minors may travel alone, as long as they have authorization from their parents to travel, which must be formalized in writing at any Civil Guard post.

It is recommended to travel within the EU European sanitary card. This document certifies the right of its holder to receive health benefits in the Member States of the European Union, in the rest of the countries of the European Economic Area and in Switzerland. It is valid for one year, and can be processed online or at a Social Security office.

If you need to travel with medications, there is nothing to worry about! Liquid medications are exempt from liquid transportation restrictions. The regulations allow you to travel from any airport in the European Union with medications. It is recommended to always carry them in your hand luggage and accompanied by your prescription or the corresponding medical prescription.

Traveling abroad outside the EU

Travel by and with minors is subject to specific restrictions. The border police, both inside and outside the Schengen area, have the specific mandate to pay special attention to minors, whether they are traveling accompanied or not, they will need the authorization for minors to travel abroad.

Those minors traveling outside EU countries will need to present their Passport to border agents. For apply for the passport The same procedure is required as for the DNI, with the difference that the minor must be accompanied by both parents or, failing that, by their legal guardians.

If there is only one parent or guardian, this must be justified through sentences, birth certificates, death certificates or any other document in which it is stated and can be demonstrated that only one exists.

Furthermore, when we plan to travel to other countries, we must know if the destination country requires any type of Visa or Health Certificate. If this is the case, you must consult the embassy of the destination country about the requirements to request it. Each country imposes its conditions and price of issuance fees, as well as some allow the obtaining of group or family visas.

  • Minors traveling alone

Those minors traveling alone must justify to border agents that they do not leave the national territory against the will of their parents or legal guardians.

  • Minors traveling accompanied

In the event that minors travel accompanied, the requirements and necessary documentation to present at the customs of the destination country will depend on:

– If you travel accompanied by 1 of your parentsThey must request the express authorization of the other absent parent or legal guardian. If there is no other, it will be useful to have documents such as judgments, birth certificates or death certificates to prove that only one exists.

If the minor's parents are divorced 

  1. The divorce decree must be reviewed and ensure that it allows traveling abroad with the minor.
  2. Present authorization from the other parent or legal guardian giving their consent.
  3. If one of the parties objects to the minor traveling outside the country, a lawyer will have to be consulted, thus requesting judicial authorization. It is advisable to add the minor's round-trip plane tickets to this application.

– If you travel accompanied by adults who are not your parentsThey will need to justify to border agents that custody of the minor has not been unlawfully deprived. To do this, an authorization must be formalized in writing, which must be requested at a Civil Guard office.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *